Forum Archive

You're at the forum archive. The forums were taken down years ago due to some unfortunate astroturfing attempts by a couple retailers. At the time, I was very concerned about exposing readers to a bunch of input-that-might-be-fake, or creating a situation where the well-behaved retailers were at a disadvantage.

However, because a number of readers had posted helpful comments & reviews, and I didn't want to see it all vanish into oblivion permanently, I kept a backup around. What you're seeing now is that backup (almost 7 years old now - don't ask how I managed to get it running again...). Things are a bit scattered, and you can't post anything new (the buttons have all been disabled), but the original content is here if you're interested.

EyeBuyDirect

EyeglassRetailerReviews.com Forum Index -> Others
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuthorMessage
chank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:42 pmApr 26, 2006    Post subject: EyeBuyDirect

Anyone know anything about this retailer? When I google for various glasses related text, then I see a lot hits related to this site, but all adverts and PR. I can't find a review anywhere, although they do have a lot of testimonials and the press releases on their site.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:05 amApr 28, 2006    Post subject:

Someone sent me an email me a couple weeks ago asking about them, so I'll paste what I replied to them.

Quote:
I did a little searching, but there seems to be very info about them available. This WHOIS info about their domain is as follows:

Registrant:
Roy Hessel
7 Hashoftim St.
Hetzelia, 46447
Israel

Registered through: Cheap-DomainNames.com
Domain Name: EYEBUYDIRECT.COM
Created on: 13-Aug-05
Expires on: 13-Aug-15
Last Updated on: 05-Mar-06

Administrative Contact:
Hessel, Roy roy_hessel@hotmail.com
7 Hashoftim St.
Hetzelia, 46447
Israel
+972544323408

Technical Contact:
Hessel, Roy roy_hessel@hotmail.com
7 Hashoftim St.
Hetzelia, 46447
Israel
+972544323408

Domain servers in listed order:
YNS1.YAHOO.COM
YNS2.YAHOO.COM

As you can see, the registrant appears to be from Israel, where I'm guessing the company must be based (despite Bethesda, MD 20814 being shown on their contact page, possibly a US office). They registered their domain for 10 years, which is usually a good sign but the domain is still quite new. The testimonials and first "press release" on their web site are all dated February/2005 which seems a little strange, since the domain shows creation in August/2005. Either they transferred registrars and ended up with a new "created" date, or they're trying to make it look as though they've been around for longer than they really have.

I tried searching the BBB, but there doesn't seem to be any information about them there. I also wasn't able to find any forums or newsgroups where anyone had mentioned having any sort of experiences with them.

Ordering from eyebuydirect.com would probably be a little risky, for the simple reason that you'd probably be one of the first people placing an online order from them. They could be a great company, or they could be terrible, and there's really no way to know without hearing the experiences of others, which won't happen until they've had the time to develop a customer base.

If you do decide to order from them, I'd suggest contacting them first and asking some sort of a question (even if it's as simple as "how much would shipping be to Canada"). That will at least give you an idea as to their response time, and might possibly give you a hint as to the level of customer service.

If you really like the frames you're considering, then it may be worth giving them a try. Just make sure, as with all online purchases, that you don't spend more than you can afford to lose if things go sour.

So far, I haven't heard anything at all about EyeBuyDirect.com aside from the one inquiry, in addition to your post here.

As far as "testimonials" and "press releases" go, I probably wouldn't put a heck of a lot of weight into them, since they can be faked with relative ease. There's rarely ever a way to know for sure, so I usually tend to ignore them and rely more-so on word-of-mouth (if someone has a bad experience, it often doesn't take long for them to find a forum or other avenue to tell others about it). Your best bet is probably to wait and see what experiences others do have. Unfortunately, EyeBuyDirect being relatively new, it might take a little while.

Be sure to let us know how things go if you do try them out.
Roy Hessel

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:20 pmMay 27, 2006    Post subject: EyeBuyDirect.com - my eyeglasses company

Dear friends,

My name is Roy Hessel. I do own the domain and am currently the Chief Operating Officer of EyeBuyDirect Inc. The company has been established and operating since 1995, in Bethesda Maryland. I appreciate the genuine interest in our company, and I would like to assure you that the feedbacks and testimonials on our site are 100% genuine. At EyeBuyDirect.com, we are making our best efforts to truly revolutionize the eyewear market and to allow everyone to own one or several pairs of glasses at reasonable prices--unlike what's customary in the industry. Yes we are a relatively new online store, but our expertise is draws from over 20 years in eyeglasses retail. In a relatively short time we have been successful in serving thousands of satisfied customers. We hope you will be one of them; see for your self.

Kindest Regards,

Roy Hessel

CEO www.EyeBuyDirect.com
jasn8692@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:19 pmJun 01, 2006    Post subject: eyebuydirect.com

I ordered from this company and now I'm afraid I might have made a mistake. According to their website, your order should arrive within 10 days, well mine hasn't. It's been well over 10 days and nothing yet. $56.80 might not be a lot to some people, but when you're on a tight budget, it's a lot. I sent an e-mail to Mr. Hessel regarding my lack of satisfaction just a few minutes ago. I'll keep you posted on the results.
jasn8692@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:44 pmJun 06, 2006    Post subject: eyebuydirect.com

Well, it's June 6th and I still don't have the eyeglasses I ordered on may 18th. Also, I have not gotten a response from any person at eyebuydirect.com I'll say that's poor customer service. I sent them another e-mail a few minutes ago. See what happens.

Very dissatisfied!
yarosh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:09 amJun 22, 2006    Post subject: But I am !

I dont know who posted the above message,
but I must say -
I made my first order from that site at march, was positivelly surprised by the service & quality of the product ( I made small order just in case...)

and then order 3 glasses more, one as a present.
Im highly satisfied! recommended to some friends, and here around I know about 2 more people that ordered and go their prescription eyeglasses.

so as to me - I dont need more eyeglasses in the near future, but would have bought from eyebuydirect for sure if I needed.

Rosha Beninga
Michigan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:34 pmJun 25, 2006    Post subject: Re: But I am !

Glad to hear about a positive experience. How long did it take for your glasses to arrive?
Thanks!

yarosh wrote:
I dont know who posted the above message,
but I must say -
I made my first order from that site at march, was positivelly surprised by the service & quality of the product ( I made small order just in case...)

and then order 3 glasses more, one as a present.
Im highly satisfied! recommended to some friends, and here around I know about 2 more people that ordered and go their prescription eyeglasses.

so as to me - I dont need more eyeglasses in the near future, but would have bought from eyebuydirect for sure if I needed.

Rosha Beninga
Michigan
yarosh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:15 amJun 29, 2006    Post subject: eyebuydirect prescription eyeglasses purchases

Took them 1 week to arrive.
EyeglassRetailerReviews.com Forum Index -> OthersAll times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Finished with the forums? Click here to head back to the main Eyeglass Retailer Reviews site.